The Lost City

After a few days in Cusco I headed out to join a group of fellow travelers for the famous Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. Four days of epic hiking, camping and finally a visit to amazing Machu Picchu made this an unforgettable experience.

I must admit, it was a bit strange to hike in a large group and have porters carry most of your gear and equipment (except personal belongings and sleeping bags). Once I got used to the idea of being on a guided trek, however, I found it quite enjoyable to have a table ready for you and the tents all set up when you get to camp after a day of hiking. Also, I was lucky to have a great group of hikers and guides which is probably the crucial part of this experience. Bad group, bad experience - great group, great experience!

The only disappointment I actually caused myself: I forgot to get a ticket to Huayna Picchu in advance and was "grounded" in Machu Picchu for the day. I'll just have to add that hike to the next trek to Machu Picchu I'll make! :)

first day of hiking - still looking fresh and clean
on Dead Womans Pass 4200m
group pic with the porters
beautiful weather in the Andes
Sayaqamarka ruins 
Sayaqamarka ruins 
Inca tunnels on the trail
day 3 - looking a bit tired already
first view of Machu Picchu from Sun Gate
Machu Picchu in the early morning
group pic at Machu Picchu
the terraces of Machu Picchu
classic Machu Picchu shot :)

After four days of hiking I headed out to Puerto Maldonado for a few days in the hot Peruvian jungle before returning to Lima.

enjoying a nap at the lodge :)



Comments

Popular Posts